A System: How I Plan to Rate Products and A Mini-Review

by - January 27, 2018

The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% and Lactic Acid 10% + HA 2%


When I read the reviews that other people write about products I am never too concerned with the final number rating given. Instead, I tend to really love the way the author describes the feeling of the product during application and the results of long term use. That said, the final rating and summary are definitely helpful.

That is why I plan to use a rating system that is in line (perhaps to the point of plagiarism) with many others I have seen. Let's get into this!

1/5 - I effing hate this product and will be throwing it in the garbage right quick

2/5 - I don't like it personally but I can see how this product would appeal to others, I guess

3/5 - I will not be repurchasing this product despite the fact that it appears to be good value

4/5 - I like it. I would strongly consider purchasing it again or even gifting it to a loved one

5/5 - I like this product a lot! I will be repurchasing it for the foreseeable future

Pretty self explanatory, no?

Well, except for the fact that I didn't declare a rating of 5/5 to be HG, otherwise known as a Holy Grail product. I'm uncomfortable using that designation because I have never experienced the elation that seems to accompany the declaration of "HG!!" Frankly, I have serious doubts that I will find a product that I never want to live without and will repurchase ad infinitum.

Various products on a pink background
A very early routine snapshot

Instead, I think this system will lend itself to less reevaluations over time. A great example are the products shown in the picture above. At the time I was using those particular items I probably would have rated all of them about a four on five. Now I can conclusively say that I have not repurchased any of the above except for the Andalou Naturals 1000 Roses Toner and The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1%. Of the two repurchases, when they run out I will be replacing them with other products.

For instance, The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% is a nice little introduction to niacinamide as an ingredient and it is extraordinarily cheap at 5.90CAD per 30mL. I have used it in lots of different ways over the last several months; from serum to booster to spot treatment. In all of these applications it does just fine. That's it though. It's fine. Just fine. I have noticed that it helps to heal open comedones a little faster than without it and it has helped with fading my leftover tan from the summer. But I'm ready for more, I want to move on to Shark Sauce from Holy Snails.

My rating of The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% is : 3.5/5

3/5 - I will not be repurchasing this product despite the fact that it appears to be good value

4/5 - I like it. I would strongly consider purchasing it again or even gifting it to a loved one

The final verdict is that while I did buy 3 bottles of the stuff, after using 2 of those bottles I am only still using it due to trying to maintain a consistent routine. The Ordinary Niacinamide 10% + Zinc 1% is formulated with blemish treatment in mind but it doesn't really do that for me. I use BHA containing products for my acne since they seem to act more quickly on that front. With niacinamide my goal is reduce sun damage and fade hyperpigmentation. Therefore, I am going to move on hopefully to bigger and better things.

You May Also Like

0 comments

Skincare by Moonlight is a friendly place. Any mean-spirited comments will be removed.