A Review: Holika Holika Honey Sleeping Pack Acerola

by - March 09, 2018

Holika Holika Sleeping Pack Acerola as viewed on my pretty mermaid brush

I recently finished my jar of the Holika Holika Honey Sleeping Pack which means it is review time! Of course, this was my first full-size, k-beauty sleeping pack so bear that in mind as we go forward. Prior to this I have used a mini-size of the famous Laneige Water Sleeping Mask, as well as several samples of other sleeping packs. Before I got in to AB skincare I used heavy creams or balms over top of regular moisturizer in order to lock-in my skincare overnight. I think that is why when I first heard the words "sleeping pack" I had an aha! moment. A special product specifically designed to trap my skincare goodies against my face overnight? Sign me up!

Benton, Scinic, Skinfood and Holika Holika honey products
I beelieve I may have fallen for the buzz about honey and then had to hive all of the products

I love all things honey so this sleeping pack was a natural fit for my tastes and budget. It retails for about 15USD generally, and I got mine at Jolse. The cute, glass, honey pot shaped jar holds 90mL of pink, jelly-like mask. For both the price and the experience I find the Acerola version of this sleeping pack to be much superior to the Laneige Water Sleeping Mask. The smell is sweet and fruity without being cloying, unlike the Laneige mask which smelled like urea based foot cream to my nose. I never did figure that out since the Water Sleeping Mask contains no urea anywhere in its ingredient list. Speaking of ingredient lists, check this baby out!

Water, Honey Extract, Malpighia Glabra (Acerola) Fruit Extract, Glycerin, Dimethicone, Glycereth-26, Arginine, Carbomer, Acrylates/C10-30 Alkyl Acrylate Crosspolymer, Phenoxyethanol, Ethanol, Methylparaben, PEG-2M, PEG-90M, Hydrogenated Lecithin, Sucrose Distearate, CI 19140, CI 17200, Dipotassium Glycyrrhizate, Fragrance, Caramel, Disodium EDTA, Dipropylene Glycol, Portulaca Oleracea Extract

The above is taken from the Canadian Holika Holika website, but the formatting was done by me. The brand also states that the Honey Extract and Acerola Extract are present in quantities of 20% each. Iffy ingredients are the ethanol and added colours, but I can see why they would be in there. The alcohol is needed to help the pack to dry and the colours are likely there to give a more honeyed appearance to the finished product. Since I personally experienced no irritation, breakouts, or otherwise negative reactions, I will not be dropping the final score I give. However, as with all things skincare, your mileage may vary.

Holika Holika Sleeping Pack Acerola in its adorable little honey pot jar
Honey Pot Honey Pot Honey Pot

The first few nights I used it were not the greatest. For one thing, I put on way, way too much. I also used my finger to apply the mask which I believe is a mistake. The first time I used a cheap (and adorable!) liquid foundation brush to apply the sleeping pack was like a revelation in itself. I had lovely skin on the mornings after applying the mask with my fingers, but I had plump, glowing, calm skin after I switched to the brush for application. Not only that, but I was using less product and it would dry down more quickly.

Holika Holika Sleeping Pack Acerola swatched on my pale-ass hand
I didn't realize until tonight that I never took a picture of the full length of my brush in all its mermaid tailed glory.

That is probably the one failing of this, and perhaps all, sleeping packs. They take a while to dry down enough that I feel comfortable laying on my pillow. I'm a side sleeper no matter how I try to learn back-sleeping, so skincare smears on my pillowcase can be a real problem. I once applied so much of this mask (I think it was only the 3rd time using) that it still wasn't dry after 30 minutes. And I woke up to a sticky honey face stuck to my sticky honey pillowcase. Not cool, man. Not. Cool. As you can see, I learned my lesson and that was never again a problem. However, even after my thin layer, applied by brush, has had lots of time to dry down it will always remain a little sticky. Fly away hairs stick to my face and pajama lint does too. It's cold where I live; flannels are a must but that means the constant supply of lint they produce is here to stay.

On the mornings after using the Holika Holika Sleeping Pack I have to wash my face. It doesn't need to be a full double cleanse, but it has to be more than just a splash of water before moving on. I sincerely hope that this won't be a problem for the sleeping packs I use in the future but I imagine it will be. Next up is the Missha Misa Yei Hyun Jin Bon Sleeping Pack which I have just applied for the first time tonight. Something tells me my dreams will be hanbangin'  *^_^*

Missha Misa Yei Hyun Jin Bon Sleeping Pack
It's so pink! It's so pretty! Pictures don't do it justice with all of its pearlescent and holographic details *swoon*

Will I repurchase this mask? Probably not. Not because of its failings but because there are just too many other great things to try. The Missha sleeping pack that I opened tonight is a 150mL tube which is going to last positively ages. I also have a pile of samples of Cosrx Ultimate Moisturizing Honey Overnight Mask, a decant of the Cosrx Ultimate Nourishing Rice Overnight Spa Mask, and a bad hankering for the Sulwhasoo Overnight Vitalizing Mask EX. Okay, you say, but what about the blueberry and canola versions of the Holika Holika mask? Well, I smelled the blueberry one at a friend's house and that smell is NOT for me I tell you what. I find the idea of the canola mask appealing since my house is surrounded by canola fields (fun fact: the old name for canola is rapeseed. RAPESEED) but not appealing enough to pull me away from the lure of sexy new products.

My final rating for the Holika Holika Honey Sleeping Pack Acerola is 3.5 out of 5:

3/5 - I will not be repurchasing this product despite the fact that it appears to be good value
4/5 - I like it. I would strongly consider purchasing it again or even gifting it to a loved one

I like it, I recommend it, I would give it to a loved one, but I'm too entranced by the lure of new things to repurchase this mask. If you've used it, let me know in the comments below! I love seeing how differently the same products behave on different people. If you are curious about my rating system and review process click here.

I am not affiliated in any way with any brands and these products were purchased by me with my own money. I am reviewing them because I feel strongly that more reviews of more products leads to better information for everyone.






You May Also Like

1 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing such beautiful information with us. We hope you will share some more information about skin care. We really enjoy your blog & content. If anyone looking for Skin Treatment Melbourne Then visit us. We provide best skin care services.

    ReplyDelete

Skincare by Moonlight is a friendly place. Any mean-spirited comments will be removed.